[SML] DMX/Programmable Winches/Hoists

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 16:45:01 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 12:32 AM, Michael Sauder via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Perhaps in the past DMX was not reliable enough for motion control, but it
> may well be time to reconsider the knee jerk reactions against it.

I didn't say motion control, I said DMX is not suitable for the
control of overhead lifting.  DMX is open loop.  Some variant that is
a proprietary protocol, because it won't be DMX as defined by any
consensus standard, might be safe for overhead lifting, perhaps if it
met SIL1 (for this application)  for instance.

As far as what a manufacturer says on the internet, with presumptions
no less, well, just is not sufficient for me.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC