[SML] Lighting Inventories

David Bowman dmbowman at syr.edu
Tue Jul 12 12:11:12 UTC 2016

Hey gang,

June, I totally agree with you, EXCEPT: I have the items that are “shared” by all the spaces listed on a separate page from the inventory that is dedicated to each space (“horse-trading” of house gear from one to another is at my discretion/convenience and the LD is not made aware of the other space’s inventories) and the page is clearly labeled as gear that is “as available – please ask.”  If I had a dime for every plot that came in with all the bells and whistles from the shared list without asking for availability – I wouldn’t be working here anymore ;-).  AND when you say “let me check on availability” the response is almost always “well, it’s really important to the show so if it’s not available, we need to rent it…”

I’ve tried leaving the “shared” list out, and I either get requests for gear that is similar to mine (but mine won’t do in those cases) or I get scolded because they didn’t know we had it.

I do keep some spares “in my back pocket” for that epiphany at tech.  That is never questioned although I do have a few LD’s that have been here enough times that they have caught on to the spares and sometimes tried to take advantage ahead of time.

dave

David M. Bowman
Master Electrician/Adj. Professor
Syracuse Stage/SU Drama