[SML] big "rigging" failure ?

Dan Sheehan dsheehan.sml at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 09:53:45 UTC 2016

Here's another report on the incident, with more pictures.

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=456

Appears that the foundation *broke* !

Reinforced concrete construction
(think bridges, buildings, roads) has a life expectancy of
about 50-100 years, sometimes.failing much sooner.
 Microcracks in cement allow moisture to reach steel,
which expands when it rusts, cracking the concrete and allowing more
moisture in.

(read "Concrete Planet" by Robert Courland).

This thing was built in 1986, my daughters are older than that (and they're
still good).

Yeah, I'll be looking for the failure analysis report.

Extremely fortunate this did not happen while the lift was in use carrying
a few hundred humans.

--
...Dan Sheehan
Fixer of things that break