[SML] 4 channel LED dimming. NOT RGBW

JIM VOGEL james.vogel at wisc.edu
Tue Jul 19 03:36:31 UTC 2016

Stuart,
After a long but fun and interesting Google search, I see what you mean, not many/any RGBI LED drivers.

I did maybe find one, the ADJ LED Pixel 4C, (or LED Pixel 10C), manual at
http://intranet.americandj.com/ItemRelatedFiles/6994/led-pixel-4c.pdf.
The controllers have a 5 channel mode, where DMX channels 1-3 are RGB, and DMX channel 4 is Intensity. DMX channel 5 effects strobe/sound activation. It's output controls 4 (or 10 for the 10c) led pixel tubes via 4 wires, at 24v; my guess is that there is a wire for R, G, B, and ground. So if your existing DMX channels are not sequential, and you didn't drive the 5th DMX channel, and you could run on 24v, it might work...
And at $120, it might be worthwhile buying one to see, or tearing it apart to make it work.
There was also a Arduino DMX project that alluded to RGBI DMX controller. http://kll.engineering-news.org/kllfusion01/articles.php?article_id=7. You might be able to build your own using the info there.

Interesting challenge. :-)
Best of luck!
Jim

Sent from my iPad