[SML] Opinions of Strand control and dimming equipment

John McAfee jrpmcafee at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 20:14:53 UTC 2016

I've used C21's and Light Palettes for about 9 years now (2 different jobs). At both jobs, the buildings were new and the equipment was installed new rather than us upgrading into it.

The boards have given me no trouble. There is a slight learning curve with syntax and workflow, but guest designers and rentals haven't been completely stymied by it and I can get around pretty easily.

The C21's are more trouble. I've got a mix of standard and sine wave, mostly standard. I've had thermistors go out (2 thermistors for one rack in the past year), processors need to be replaced (3 processors across 8 racks in about 3 years) , and I'm still trying to track down an intermittent bad dimmer (I think it might be actually an issue with the backplane). Some of this might be due to the install electricians not testing equipment properly or setting up the addressing, but even being generous with the blame there, I don't feel that the dimmer racks are robust and reliable. For the most part it's been annoying rather than mission critical, but it still ends in service calls. Warranties are honored and a fair amount of repair/replace has been gratis outside of warranty. But that might be due to my service company rather than Strand.

When hooking up a guest's non-Strand board to the strandnet, I had to fiddle with the DMX speed to get it working properly, but that was not a huge deal. If you are getting N21 nodes, try and specify that at least one that has a DMX input or buy/make some 5pin turnarounds.

Let me know if you have other questions.

John