[SML] Cruise Ships

Ford Sellers fsellers at chauvetlighting.com
Fri Jun 24 19:45:39 UTC 2016

Like Andrew, I've heard Mixed reports.

>From what I can tell, it is much like the Feld Circuses.
You get out of it whatever you put in.  If you go in with your eyes open, and wanting to learn and work hard, the payoff can be substantial.  You will get access to newer technology (eventually), and learn A LOT about maintenance, and get a lot of good experience quickly. There is a lot of cynicism, and alcoholism aboard... so that can be a risk...but your attitude is key.

Also key... being in the highest position possible.  Go in as the TD.  If you go as a general hand, you will share a cabin, and likely get a lot of less desirable additional duties.

One of my employees came from the Cruise Lines.  He went in as a board-op/moving light tech, got incredible amounts of experience, worked his way up on various cruise lines over a multi-year duration, went scuba diving all over the planet, met his wife, and came out relatively unscathed.  He is now a product manager for a major lighting manufacturer.  There were some other stops along the way, but for him is was a great way to get into the professional end of the market... so it can be a great way to get started, with a lower barrier to entry than traditional touring.

He warns that it is not for everyone.  You really need to keep yourself grounded, and be more interested in bettering yourself, than in getting sucked into negativism and drama.

I have another friend who is a SM for Disney Cruise Lines.
She goes in smiling, and is happy to leave when her contract is up... but I've seen her re-sign at least 3 times, so despite her relief at the end of a contract, she finds it fulfilling enough to return to sea.

I've never heard her warn against it.

I hope that helps.