[SML] Now homeless due to fire.

Paul G. pguncheon at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 20:55:41 UTC 2016

Truly saddened to hear of your personal disaster and relieved that no one was injured. Smoke damage is really difficult to remedy, particularly the smell. I had a Victorian cherry piano that went through a fire after I bought it. I didn't realize how strong the odor was as I picked it up from the burnt out church that was its home and now where everything smelled and transported it 600 miles in an open trailer. It wasn't until I got into our house that the reek became apparent. Even after years of on again/off again restoration by a pro piano restorer type guy and repeated cleanings with a variety of furniture restoration products (I was a professional antique furniture restorer at the time so I knew a bunch of things to try) it still had a distinct odor.

I never did think to ask the fire department what they would recommend... which might be a good idea.

I would suggest (although I'm sure you've thought of it already) to photograph and videotape all the damage, both for insurance purposes and for perhaps starting some sort of online financial assistance blog for people who might want to help you out.

Good luck in finding a place.

Laters,

Paul 1

Sent from my iPad