[SML] 3D Printers? MakerBot Z18

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 14:25:21 UTC 2016

I have been watching the 3D printing market for quite a while.  There are now a zillion models to choose from.  But, I think the market is finally starting to shrink, with the less successful models disappearing. As time passes, I doubt the cheap ones will get much cheaper. Rather, the cheap ones will be better, and add important features like automatic build-plat calibration, heated build plate, and filament sensors.  I think those two features are very important if you don't want to spent a lot of time tweaking the machine.

Here is a web page, which maintains an extensive database of 3D printers.  You can sort by build size, but unfortunately, the important features I mentioned above are not part of the database.
http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/3dprinters/

One approach might be to compromise on the build size, and go cheap.  Then, look again in another year as the market matures a bit more.

As for models, I was just looking at the Da Vinci 1.1 Plus for . It has the features I mentioned, and is a favorite among the school users, which is a sign that it works reliably without a lot of tweaking. 7.8" x 7.8" x 7.8" build volume, and WiFi connectivity.  The WiFi is good because these printers tend to be  noisy, and it is nice to be able to put it in a closet.  It is $700 at Best Buy or Staples.

I will also mention the idea of using a service to do the prints for you. Here is a link to a network of hobbyist-level service providers that will try to link you up with someone local.  And the costs are generally pretty good, compared to the more professional service providers.  Though, that may start to change when companies like Staples starts offering the service. But, because these printers are  fairly slow, I suspect the hobbyist, who under-charges for his time, is going to be a better choice for prices. https://www.makexyz.com/

-Joe Dunfee