[SML] Sorta OT: Moving for a job

Ronald Koinzan ron.koinzan at uni.edu
Mon May 2 22:09:54 UTC 2016

Nathan,
I always find a cost of living comparison to be helpful.

this link,
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx
is just one example.

Some other things I've learned;
Rent the first year at least until you know you are going to stay.
If where you are moving doesn't have the things you currently like to do
for fun, don't move or plan to get a new hobby.
How often do you feel the need to see family? Friends? Budget for that
expense.
Moving is expensive. Will the new employer help defray the cost?

Very important to keep in mind if you are moving because you don't like
your current situation; No matter where you go, there you are. Don't move
into a situation that is the same or similar to your current one or you
will end up still being unhappy and further in debt. Plus Buckaroo Banzai
is wise. :)

Good luck on the job hunting.

Ron Koinzan
Technical Director