[SML] OT: Virus/malware protection

John Taylor jt at techie.com
Mon May 2 22:56:29 UTC 2016

After retiring a couple of years ago and not having access to work's
anti-virus license I tried a couple. (FYI - They have dropped McAfee and
are using another brand now. I use to like McAfee but not any longer.)
One of the IT folks recommended Avira. They have a free version but the
paid version gives a lot more and only takes minor set-up (and it is
reasonable). As to also using anti-malware (this is different than
anti-virus software), I highly recommend it. I use Malware Bytes and
love it. With Win 7 and above you also have Microsoft's Defender built
in. Probably best to let it run also. I have all 3 running on 2 laptops
and my tower and have had no problems and stayed clean.

The problem with ransom-ware is that it can skirt any of the above at
times. The best way to prevent ransom-ware is a couple of simple and
basic things.
     Do not click on any link in an email unless you are expecting
someone to send you a link.
     When you are surfing the web, do so with care and stay off of non
business needed sites.
     This is probably the most important one, BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP
     In case you did not hear me, BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP!!

As cheap as external drives are now, there is no reason not to back up
your computer regularly.

JT