[SML] Fiberglass splinters/fibers

Stuart Wheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Mon May 2 23:27:13 UTC 2016

>>     On May 1, 2016, at 3:50 PM, Bill Schaffell via Stagecraft
>>     <stagecraft at theatrical.net <mailto:stagecraft at theatrical.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     I am not having any luck finding gloves that are designed to
>>     resist fiberglass fibers. Any recommendations?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Bill
>>     --

For the fuzzy stuff, a heavy rubber glove will usually do, but if you
are working with a chopper gun, or even doing layups with glass cloth,
you have a situation that is almost certain to get you poked.  the resin
stiffens those fibers up so they poke right through almost anything.
Avoid anything woven, you probably get the most out of heavy leather,
but the best approach is to look before you grab, try to trim the glass
while the resin is still in the soft state, when the fibers will still
move rather than poke, and roll down the edges as well as you can.

We have tried to make a rule that anything that goes into the glass shop
stays there, but inevitably you find a sawhorse that has a layer of
overspray on it, and you don't see it until you grab it to move it and
get stabbed in the fingers.

Stuart