[SML] OT: Virus/malware protection

John McAfee jrpmcafee at gmail.com
Tue May 3 02:00:29 UTC 2016

Yes, not only do you want to not keep backups constantly connected, I recommend rotating offsite backups. The best system I've seen was:
1. Automated hourly backup (a la time machine)
2. Nightly full clones of the disk
3. Crash plan or back blaze
4. Keep a clone offsite (friend's house, safety deposit box). Every month swap the offsite clone with the nightly clone. (Fireproof safe could work too)

This way if your house burns up or is robbed you can drop the offsite clone into a new computer and lose at most 30 days. Bonus points if you make the clones the same physical size as your computer takes so you can just open the chassis and pop in the backup. Cloud backup is good but cumbersome to do a full restore and because it is constantly backing up it is susceptible to backing up virii and ransom ware.

That said, I haven't had the patience to do all of that, but with a close call with some ransom ware I'm putting it on my to-do list.