[SML] OT: Virus/malware protection

NODEraser noderaser at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:28:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Kristi R-C via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> My IT guy swears by McAfee.  Along with the one that Windows 10 has, if
> that's what you're running.

Some versions of McAfee will disable Microsoft Security Essentials,
and other software to prevent "conflicts".

Personally, I just use Microsoft Security Essentials. It has a very
low footprint, and should be good enough for the savvy computer user.
However, those with less computer knowledge/experience are more likely
to run into problems by opening suspicious emails and downloading
things from questionable sources. In addition to antivirus/malware
scanning software, the user needs to be vigilant and make sure they're
not increasing their exposure with risky Internet behavior. As the
computer universe has evolved over the years, I've found that there
are parallels with human health care; prevention (software updates &
patches, firewalls, etc), education (users avoiding sources of
malware), and treatment (AV software) all need to be used together to
achieve maximum effectiveness.

--
[Greg Bennett]
-Independent Carpenter, Electrician & Lighting Designer