[SML] revisiting an old story

taco at peak.org taco at peak.org
Mon May 9 22:57:59 UTC 2016

I was down at the volunteer community theater this week hanging some lights. I'm not the addict I used to be. I only do 5 or 6 shows a year now instead of 10 or 12, and I'm scattered across a larger number of venues. I attend fewer shows as well. So I haven't been in that house much for a while.
At the back of that auditorium are two doorways. I can recall many failed attempts to hang a curtain in those doorways during shows. Ushers holding the curtains back for most of the patrons helped, but all the day-to-day traffic pushing through them did damage, and the curtains themselves were always cast-off adapted junk. It was always shabby, clumsy, and troublesome.
One day I tackled that problem. The architecture allowed a long closet rod behind the doorways, (each side different, of course,) but a sliding tube on that rod let the new curtains move completely out of the doorways when appropriate, and close them off completely when appropriate. Nothing fancier than baling wire ties the curtain to the tube.
A request here on the list got us a donation of curtain scraps large enough for us, from Bill Sapsis and his folks, and a volunteer with a heavy duty machine did a pro job on the new curtains.
Now, 12 or 15 or possibly even more years have gone by, and that solution still works, and those curtains still look good. I don't know what the material is. It is thick, and has a hand like wool or felt. It has held up beautifully to all the years of handling. I'd buy it or recommend it in a heartbeat.
But I'm writing mostly to once again publicly thank Bill Sapsis for his generosity. Thanks, Bill!