[SML] Variable speed motor

Loren Schreiber lschreib at mail.sdsu.edu
Wed May 11 16:14:36 UTC 2016

AC motors have pretty much supplanted DC motors in most industries. The
cost of AC inverters (drives) has come down to the point that AC is
actually a much more economical way to go.

In this case, it's not a simple matter of buying a variable speed motor.
All commonly available motors (AC or DC) will need a gear box of some
sort to drop the speed and increase the torque to something you can use.
But that's not the end of it. If you are connecting a cable to this
motor, then you will need a drum of some sort and the support structure
(winch) to go with it. As others have mentioned, then there is
electrical cabling ($$), controls, e-stop circuits, electrical
enclosures etc., etc., etc. All this is fun stuff to design and build,
but it sounds like you are on a tight schedule and a little behind the
curve for developing your own system in house.

Others have mentioned Creative Conners as a source for a turn-key system
that you can buy off the shelf. I heartily concur. However, a glance at
the prices (and Creative Conners is very affordable when compared to
other available systems) and I think, in this case anyway, you might
just want to pull a rope. I have designed and built automated scenery
movers for decades now, but these days it's just easier, cheaper and
faster to buy a system like Creative Conners.

OK, that said, I know of a school that will rent a compact hand-cranked
winch that would likely work in your situation. Most of your cost would
be shipping to and from your theatre because winches are heavy. Let me
know and I will put you in touch.

Loren Schreiber, Professor Emeritus
San Diego State University