[SML] ETC Safety cable loop

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Wed May 18 14:06:00 UTC 2016

> How many use the Safety Cable loop thing built in to the ETC bodies for
> safety cables? I'm finding a lot of freelance hired/overhire crew are
> removing the cable from the loop and only wrapping the yoke to the pipe.
> One push back I've received is "it won't reach when overhanging" to which I
> show them to loop the cable into itself on the Safety loop and again at the
> pipe. Thus fixing the issue.

Sometimes I use the cast eye, usually when I have other items in the front gel
slots, such as a SX4 or I-Cue. The safety cables on those are usually not long
enough to reach the pipe.

> The only time I was almost hit by a falling light was when the side bolts
> failed. Thus the light was on the floor next to me and the yoke was safely
> safetied to the pipe.

Interesting. I have seen a few times where an instrument has lost a yoke bolt,
but never where both have failed.

Maybe I should start using that eye more. But if you do, be sure to examine it
to make sure it is not cracked, since it is cast aluminum.

Bill