[SML] NYC knife law

gbierly gbierly at dejazzd.com
Fri May 20 16:32:49 UTC 2016

On May 20, 2016, at 10:30 AM, Kristi R-C via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Also, it's illegal to carry a pocket knife in NYC. Stagehands get a "pass" because they use them at work and it's considered a tool so Local ONE has worked with the cops to convince them that it's OK, but if you talk with the folks working out there, they say it's gotta stay in your pocket else it's considered a weapon by the cops.

Well that is interesting.  I have a Nite Ize pouch on my hip at all times with a Leatherman, Flashlight, silver and black Sharpies, and a ball point pen.  Would I be in violation if I wore that in NYC?   Just curious how would one find out about this law and anything similar if just visiting a city…

Greg Bierly
Performing Arts Center Manager
Hempfield High School