[SML] Low Voltage LED fixture w/ Wireless Dimmer/Wireless DMX

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Sun May 29 00:14:30 UTC 2016

On 5/26/2016 9:48 PM, Joe D via Stagecraft wrote:
> The disk jockey industry is embracing wireless DMX and battery powered units, since they must constantly set-up tear-down.
>
> One example is American DJ WiFLY QA5 WH .  I have never seen it in person, so can't judge the quality of its light.  But there are certainly many LED units out there that are battery powered with integrated wireless DMX.
>
> -Joe

We've got lots of Wifly units in rental stock.  They are constantly
going out for our party and social event clients.   They throw a good
amount of light for a few hours.  Great for things like curtian and wall
washers, and accent lights for anything you don't want to bother running
cables for.

You have to keep on top of them for the batteries.  LIke all the made in
china stuff, the batteries are not super consistent in quality, so you
have to do a load test every so often and pull the ones that die early
for battery replacement.  Although that may also be because we didn't
buy them all at the same time. so some of the units are much older than
the others, and the batteries have just worn out.

We have also empirically determined that they do not stand up well to
being run over by the caterer's truck.  Nor do they do so well when the
ice sculpture slides off the table and lands on top of one.  If you drop
one onto a hard surface from counter height, like any other light, it
will take some damage.  How bad the damage will be is variable.

Dale