[SML] Building a stage

June Abernathy jea00321 at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 19:41:17 UTC 2016

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 29, 2016, at 2:00 PM, Sarah McKenney <mckenney.sarah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello friends of the theatre hive mind. A friend of mine is considering
> taking his theatre troupe to the next level by building (or renovating?) a
> brick and mortar location to house them in

Particularly on a budget, renovating an existing structure is going to be a much better idea than building one. If you can find an existing structure that has parking, bathrooms, and a large space in it, even better. Churches are classic for this, since they already have a basic stage/seating/lobby setup in them a lot of the time. Abandoned grocery stores, with their high ceilings and ample parking, are another popular choice.

There are a ton of code considerations that vary by location for a public space like a theater. Renovating something that is already a public space can put you well ahead of the game. Also, discovering the limitations of a found space can help prepare you for building one someday.

I wouldn't suggest building something from scratch without money and a consultant.

Remember there is no such thing as too much power, storage, or parking. Or bathroom stalls.

Don't forget you need some way to get scenery and such in the building, ideally with a door bigger than a standard entrance door and no steps.

Don't forget you need some way for technicians to get to lights and rigging and such overhead, including the stuff over the audience.

Don't forget extra power and space FOH for things like light boards, sound boards, follow spots, projectors, and etc. And some way to get such objects to and fro.

Hope this helps.

June Abernathy
IATSE #321 (Tampa, FL)
FOH Electrician