[SML] Building a stage

Derek Leffew derek at derekleffew.com
Sun May 29 23:09:26 UTC 2016

I don't want to be a pessimist, but I fear "building a stage" is one of the
least important worries if what you're asking/wanting is to do theatre in a
"found space."  Building codes?  ADA-compliance?  Occupancy permit?  Public
Place of Amusement License?   All and many more, roadblocks in your path.
There's a great book, somewhat dated now but well worth a look if you can
find it:  Will It Make a Theatre: A Guide to Finding, Renovating, Financing,
Bringing Up-to-Code, the Non-Traditional Performance Space, Eldon Elder,
OOBA publisher, 1979.  Amazon has 22 copies used from $0.01 (+3.99
shipping).  Well worth it as it has considerations few of us would even
think about.

As to the "stage" itself, 4x8 plywood platforms with 2x4 legs 2' high might
be all you need, but local ADJ or Fire Marshal may require something
different, at a minimum that all bare wood be painted, up to a maximum of
"the materials you install will need to meet ASTM E-84 Class A. This is the
same as UL 723 Class 1, and NFPA 255 Class A.".

Forget for the moment anything about receiving touring productions, unless
some sort of "reader's theatre" or one-person shows with very minimal tech
needs.

A cabernet cabaret?  I love it.

Visit my website at http://www.derekleffew.com/ and read my blog.  Fun for
all ages!