[SML] MIG Welders

Mt. Angel Performing Arts Center admin at mtangelperformingarts.com
Sat Nov 5 03:15:49 UTC 2016

On 11/4/2016 7:13 PM, Wayne Rasmussen via Stagecraft wrote:
> We do a little welding from time to time, usually at the local garage
> owned by some friends of mine.  This limits us to the size of the project
> to what fits in my pickup truck.  Thinking I'd like to do some more
> extensive work, what are your suggestions for a unit?  I'd like not to get
> a particularly large box since shop space is somewhat limited, but the
> welder needs to be capable of putting some large set pieces together from
> tubular steel.  We have both 120 and 240 volt sources available.
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne Rasmussen
> Blair Academy

In general if you are going to have just one welding machine you want it
to be as useful as possible - and also relatively easy to learn to operate.

Stay with the major brands - Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, Esab, etc. The
cheap-O machines won't last.

If I had it to do over I would start with a portable flux core wire feed
machine - and 115 volt that will run on a 20 amp circuit. They are
highly portable, relatively light weight and you can use it anywhere.
Flux core means you don't need a gas bottle. Also get a good hood -
clearly seeing what you are doing is critical.

There are some of these smaller machines that are pre-equipped to add a
gas bottle but they are heavier.

With one of these in the 80-120 amp range (of course they don't actually
put out that much, it's all specmanship) you can do up to 1/8" or maybe
3/16" steel with one pass. Thicker material you make multiple passes.

Be aware though that you won't settle for one welding machine - after
you get this first FCAW machine you will then start shopping for a
stationary machine for the workshop and eventually you will have one
each of SMAW, GTAW and GMAW even though there are multi-process machines
available. Don't ask me how I know this :)

Enjoy!

Carla

"I became a journeyman welder - I did very well. I loved it. It was like
crocheting..." - Mildred Admire Bedell