[SML] Old Equipment

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 15:35:12 UTC 2016

> What do people normally do with old AV gear?

I was about to suggest E-bay, but after a minor personal episode and reading other people's issues with them, I can't really recommend them.

It is viable on E-bay for one party to commit fraud, which can even be documented, and E-bay will not take action. Also, don't involve pay-pal with the same transaction, since they are an E-bay owned company and they work closely together. Perhaps only do the transaction with a trusted party, or in person, so that you can have the person inspect the item, and sign a receipt.  Then, use a payment method via. some method other than pay-pal.

And for your item's listing, you will be competing against vendors in China, who have an item to sell, but will use techniques to have it listed dozens of times. So, your listing may be buried. Though, used items don't have this problem nearly as much, as long as the buyer is searching only for used items.

Amazon is going down the same path, at least for the new electronics items.

I have looked for an alternative to E-bay, but there is nothing with nearly as much merchandise available. Perhaps a used equipment dealer is your easiest, and most reliable way to sell these items.  But, because the weight of many AV items can make the shipping a major part of the cost, I also suspect that selling locally is the best way.

-Joe