[SML] From Katie McCreary (Patrick's daughter)

Fred fredicvsmaximvs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:12:58 UTC 2016

Hi Stagecraft List,

Katie McCreary here, former member (though more recently PMF, not
stagecraft) and daughter of regular participant, Patrick McCreary.  Dad
died just over 7 months ago, which sucks.  (though if you saw me at the
time, I would have told you I was doing awesome - because apparently both
sarcasm and not wanting to be fussed over are genetic)

When my dad was first diagnosed, we briefly discussed the idea of setting
up a scholarship in his name.  However, at the time, Dad wasn't quite yet
ready to face the idea that was would ever retire, let alone not being able
to retire on his own terms.  Last December, while awaiting gamma knife
surgery for brain tumors (all those not-so-smooth or kindly emails last
fall make more sense now, huh?  Trust me, I called him out when I caught
them), Dad brought up the scholarship idea to me again.  He was realizing
that plans were not entirely in his control anymore, but this could be.

Since May, Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP, where Dad taught from
1983 up until his death) has been working to set-up the McCreary Memorial
Scholarship in Dad's honor.  Per his wishes, this will go to an
undergraduate student (not a freshman) who has shown an affinity for
technical theatre.  As we all know that we come to theatre from a variety
of paths, this student does not need to be a theatre major, but someone who
might simply need encouragement to stay with technical theatre.

The reason this email is so long?  The trick is this: they collect money
now, but the scholarship doesn't happen until it reaches $25,000.  At this
point, we're about at $5,000 - so not bad.  As it's #GivingTuesday, and as
anyone who has spent anytime in a non-profit knows, truly, honestly every
little bit helps.

So, my request for you is this: please consider giving today or soon.  If
my Dad ever helped you solve a problem, taught you something, sent you a
good student, avoided sending you a bad hire, told you to "call him instead
of emailing" to answer a question, made you laugh, etc., please give.  Even
a small amount really does help.  Hell, if I'VE helped you solve a problem,
worked for you, or sent you a good hire (or told you not to hire a bad
hire), please give.  Giving info is below.  The important stuff is
definitely the code # so they know where to send the money.  If you pledge,
they count the whole pledge toward the total (so three years of $25 will
count as $75 toward the $25,000 goal).

Thank you!

Katie McCreary

Giving Info:

Memorial Scholarship fund (#5297). Online via credit card (
https://securelb.imodules.com/s/894/15/index.aspx?sid=894&gid=1&pgid=951&cid=1644&appealcode=IUPeduSideTab
- When online, say it's for "Specific Areas at IUP" and then scroll to
"other 2" in the pop-up and THEN put the fund # in the comments box - oof) or
send a check made payable to the "Foundation for IUP" attention:

Anthony Cancro

306 Sutton Hall

1101 South Drive

Indiana, PA 15705

In both methods of giving, please make sure they note the gift is in memory
of Patrick McCreary so it is accurately credited. If anyone wants to make a
pledge of 3-5 years, please call Anthony at 724-357-2380.