[SML] Cleaning up drawings

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Mon Oct 10 19:11:18 UTC 2016

On 10/10/16, Bill Sapsis wrote:

>Did you try a drafting table, parallel and a mechanical pencil?
>
>:-)
>
>Bill S
>
>Sent from my #%!^?? iPhone.

I haven¹t heard of this software; does anyone know the vendors for
Drafting Table®, Parallel® or A Mechanical Pencil®?  Are they easier than
VectorWorks®?

Kidding aside, if I work with hand-drawn designs I scan them, import them
into VW on their own layer, scale and rotate as necessary to get them
correct and then draft over them in a separate layer.  Having the two
layers at the same scale, as Sam said, keeps the zoom working.  It also
lets me choose as I go what information to keep or leave from the original
image and resolve the small discrepancies in size, spacing and orientation
that come with the .pdf-to-VW transition (i.e. if something is supposed to
be 4¹ from something else, I can make sure it is even if the scan says
it¹s 4¹-3/16² thanks to pencil widths).

- Jim Dougherty
ATD Middlebury College Theatre Dept.