[SML] Advancing development of a new flash for antique cameras

Mike Voytko mv35 at nyu.edu
Tue Oct 25 14:22:24 UTC 2016

I believe the OP’s concern was that flash bulbs (esp. the old style ejectable ones) are no longer readily available.
(Happy to be wrong about this—anyone know of a small-batch manufacturer that caters to prop houses, or a supplier that is sitting on a stockpile?)

I know they were already hard to find in the late ‘90s when I was at Phila. Opera; I remember driving to every camera shop in the area and buying up the few remaining Instamatic-style flash bars, and would then cannibalize the flash elements to use in one-off effects.

Of course, if Polaroid can come back from the brink, maybe there’s hope… :-)

—
Mike Voytko
Lighting & Sound Supervisor
Tisch School of the Arts - Theatrical Production
New York University
mv35 at nyu.edu