[SML] Blue lighting

Ford Sellers fsellers at chauvetlighting.com
Thu Sep 1 14:15:34 UTC 2016

Yes, the human eye and brain are pretty forgiving.  They adjust to the ambient light, be it greenish, bluish, or reddish, and then other individual fixtures will look odd, in comparison… even if they would look normal if someone just came into the room from outside.

So, as others mentioned, you can color correct your scoops and pars to match the LED lighting (CTB 200s in LEE, 3200s in Rosco), but many cameras do not automatically color correct… so your pictures and videos may look blue.  So it may be better to use some warm lighting in the room décor, or to pinspot the tables (so a nice warm light is in the guests faces).

To “indemnify one’s self”, I’m not sure that’s really possible… a good start would be to make sure that as the LD, you are in control of all of the light.  Design the entire event, and you can balance the lighting.  If you are only lighting the stage, then be prepared to work with the ambient lighting in the room, and whatever the decorators bring. If there is someone in charge of Décor, talk to them before the event, to see what they are using, and suggest that they use some warm lighting, so that their “whites stay whiter” in comparison.

As to video… it’s been my experience that people expect it to be different from their environment, they are willing to accept if the color balance of the video is not the same as the color balance in the room.

-HTH,
-Ford