[SML] Shop dust collection

dale dale at cybercom.net
Wed Sep 21 15:35:16 UTC 2016

No specific brand comments.  All the makers have their really good ones and their cheapies.   The noise issue is a big one.  While you can put a vacuum next to each tool, this is noisier and becomes an attractive borrowing for an indefinite period nuicence. They will be borrowed by various folks and some of them will never come back.
Put in a big central sucker, with a fan motor that is not in the dust collection paths.    Get a floor sweeping gate someplace convienent and a long vacuum hose with attachments so you can suck up dust not on the floors.  Duct work is cheap in the long run.
 Well worth the investment is putting the dust vac on your power tools master power bus.  So you can shut off all the power tools and the vacuum with the emergency stop buttons.   An interlock with building fire alarm to automatically stop the system when fire alarm is sounded.  Sawdust can make a dust explosion, which would ruin your whole day.
Dale

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone