[SML] Theater Architects

illuminati500 illuminati500 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 12:17:22 UTC 2016

 The tale I have is a sorry one. As a  part time tutor in stage technology at a drama school in South East London a few years ago ( I leave it to you to work out which one) I was called into the office one day and asked to sit in a meeting with the architects off their new theatre in the round to “dot in where the lighting sockets go” on the plan. I found an architect who had previously but a library and had not the first and faintest idea of what a theatre should consist of aided and abetted by a principal who diid not have any more idea than the architect and really wanted a hall with polished floors for graduation ceremonies.  It was completely and obviously not fit for purpose I recommended that they should get in a consultant, but that didn’t happen. I did my best and stopped any number of atrocities, but at the end of the process the theatre was virtually useless, terrible sight lines, awful seating, light angles impossible to use effectively. At the end of the process, my contract was not renewed as I had put the cost up  a lot by adding a flying and lighting grid and catwalks, and insisted that they add things like stage management  offices and wardrobe, and a control area for sound and light which wasn’t on the balcony level with no view of the stage…

That particular principal was fired shortly after, got a job in the far east from which he was  also fired, and then one in Australia, where he did not last long either…. I never went back to teaching.

To be honest I have no idea whether this dreadful theatre is still in use. Moral: get a properly qualified and experienced  theatre consultant in, one who is  a member of the appropriate trade body - in UK  its  the Society of Theatre Consultants - will have an obligation to ensure that the theatre is fit for use. Don’t hire anyone attached to a particular supplier company.And get references.

DK