[SML] Theater Architects

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 03:22:39 UTC 2016

Dear Bill,
WELL SAID! I also find that when a Commercial developer is spending his own
or his Investors money, you end up with a better designed theatre, actually
at less cost, because of the inefficiencies of Government Contracting/Red
Tape.
/s/ Richard

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Bill Conner via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I look at some of these auditoriums and stages designed and
> constructed without qualified help as future work, because eventually
> someone will realize it has really major deficiencies and needs
> renovation.  I see a lot of such high schools on tours with building
> committees, who like the price point of the new one down the road that
> is too squat; too wide; equipped with anemic lighting, rigging, and av
> systems; the entire backstage support area is the sidewalk leading
> away from the single leaf door onto stage; and there is dead code
> minimum toilets to assure long lines, especially at the women's room.
> Forget that significant portions of the audience can't see or hear.
> Worse, the school is proud of it (well - they hide the music and drama
> faculty on tours - or they are very young, un-tenured, and new to the
> school so don't say negative things.)
>
> And then we have cafetoriums and gymnatoriums below that.
>
> --
> Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC

/s/ Richard
_________