[SML] wireless com that I don't hate

Brian Munroe brian at themunroes.com
Sun Sep 25 01:55:18 UTC 2016

I've finally gotten to use a wireless com system that I don't hate - the
ClearCom FreeSpeak II.   I'm just a dopey carpenter, but usually I hate all
the wireless systems, especially the digital ones.  This one is different.
Here is what it doesn't do that most wireless com does:

*         It doesn't turn on the mic accidentally when I bend over

*         It doesn't change the volume if I brush up against something or my
shirt moves (the volume control is recessed in to the pack)

*         It doesn't fall off my belt or my pocket - it has a slight curve
to the pak and hugs my hip

*         It isn't heavy.  I hardly know I'm wearing it

*         The featherweight headset our sound team ordered doesn't give me a
headache after 10 hours of tech

*         It doesn't drop out when I go to the basement, or outside the
stage door, or to FOH (I'm sure that's more of proper antennae placement
than anything else)

*         It has plenty of volume

I'm working on a play ("The Front Page"), so we aren't exactly pushing the
limits on it compared to a musical, but so far I like it.

Brian Munroe