[SML] Bonding seats in California

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 12:19:19 UTC 2016

Not sure what you mean by "bonding" - I assume either anchored to
floor or ganged one to another - but the 2015 Life Safety Code says in
the section titled "Grandstand", and portable risers in a black box
fit that definition:

12.4.9.2.4 Individual seats or chairs shall be permitted only if
secured in rows in an approved manner, unless seats do not
exceed 16 in number and are located on level floors and
within railed-in enclosures, such as boxes.

The definition:

3.3.127* Grandstand. A structure that provides tiered or
stepped seating.

The section titled "Seating" says:

12.7.9.1 Secured Seating.
12.7.9.1.1 Seats in assembly occupancies accommodating
more than 200 persons shall be securely fastened to the floor,
except where fastened together in groups of not less than
three and as permitted by 12.7.9.1.2 and 12.7.9.2.
12.7.9.1.2 Balcony and box seating areas that are separated
from other areas by rails, guards, partial-height walls, or other
physical barriers and have a maximum of 14 seats shall be
exempt from the requirement of 12.7.9.1.1.
12.7.9.2 Unsecured Seating.
12.7.9.2.1 Seats not secured to the floor shall be permitted in
restaurants, night clubs, and other occupancies where fastening
seats to the floor might be impracticable.
12.7.9.2.2 Unsecured seats shall be permitted, provided that,
in the area used for seating, excluding such areas as dance
floors and stages, there is not more than one seat for each
15 ft2 (1.4 m2) of net floor area, and adequate aisles to reach
exits are maintained at all times.
12.7.9.2.3 Seating diagrams shall be submitted for approval
by the authority having jurisdiction to permit an increase in
occupant load per 7.3.1.3.

Its my opinion that the 200 applies to all seats on a flat floor, not
when there are risers.

Further, I just finished consulting with a lawyer for a person whose
chair in a black box theatre fell off the edge of the riser and the
college settled (and it appears bought new, gangable chairs and risers
with guards).

I'll check the IBC and IFC, which CA uses with amendments, but you'd
be well served by following Dan's advice as well.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC