[SML] Bonding seats in California

Nancy Christian Nancy.Christian at vvc.edu
Fri Sep 30 20:29:45 UTC 2016

I read the same my interpretation is we do not have to fix the seats to the floor since we are a flexible space, tiered, and under 200 seats but I couldn't find anything specific to bonding the seats together when all this applies.

3. Says non-tiered - tied together

4. Says tiered - doesn't have to fix to the floor

Nancy Christian
Technical Director
Performing Arts Center
Victor Valley College
(760) 245-4271 ext. 2513

________________________________

>>>So the 2015 IBC - which I believe CA adopts with amendments - says:

1029.14 Seat stability. In a building, room or space used for assembly purposes, the seats shall be securely fastened to the floor.

Exceptions:

3. In a building, room or space used for assembly purposes or portions thereof without ramped or tiered floors for seating and with greater than 200 seats, the seats shall be fastened together in groups of not less than three or the seats shall be securely fastened to the floor.

4. In a building, room or space used for assembly purposes where flexibility of the seating arrangement is an integral part of the design and function of the space and seating is on tiered levels, not more than

200 seats shall not be required to be fastened to the floor. Plans showing seating, tiers and aisles shall be submitted for approval.

--

Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC

[Seal of VVC]

Nancy Christian,
TD, Performing Arts Center | Performing Arts Center
Victor Valley College
18422 Bear Valley Road
Victorville, CA 92395
Office: 10