[SML] Flooring material

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 14:03:24 UTC 2017

Nothing is 'too heavy' if needed for safety. That is why they have large
steel plates with threaded 'lift' holes to cover temporary cavities during
street repair work. If I have to use a forklift or a Condor to
safely complete a project, so be it.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 6:17 AM, Mike Katz via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Masonite properly called hardboard is a high density fiberboard. MDF is a
> medium density fiberboard. That why you can not buy 3/4 hardboard, it would
> be too heavy. I much prefer the density of a habits on the floor unless it
> is a one off put down and toss. Tempered hardboard is still the way to go
> for a semi permanent sacrifical to surface on a stage floor.
> I am a bit puzzled by someone's comment that the manufacturing process for
> hardboard has changed to make it more environmentally cleaner. As far as I
> know, hardboard is manufactured with heart and pressure and no trains or
> glue. That is a pretty clean process. Does anyone have more info on that?
> Mike
>
> On Apr 7, 2017 5:03 PM, "Bill Schaffell via Stagecraft" <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>> I have sheeted over a lot of stage floors with MDF. Ranging from 1/4" to
>> 3/4" depending on what the client wanted. It holds paint great. Is readily
>> available and dimensionally stable.  Is there a reason(s) that I don't see
>> the collective group here recommend MDF?
>>
>> Just curious.
>> --
>> Bill Schaffell
>>
>> Bill Schaffell