[SML] 3D printer

Dave Vick dave.vick at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 03:01:00 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 1:14 PM Joe D via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

I just tried to find where I saw that Monoprice's Select Mini v2 will have
> a heated bed, but I could not.  It is possible I mis-remembered that
> detail. The new Mini Delta is slated to have a heated build plate. This is
> very desirable for using ABS, which is stronger and more heat resistant
> than the PLA which is more commonly used.

A heated bed or build plate is a requirement for pringing in ABS; I've only
been successful printing in ABS by heating the plate up to at least 80'C,
whereas PLA prints just fine with the plate anywhere from room temperature
up to 50'C.

Another factor that may govern how 3D printers are used (or not) for props
or set dressing details is overall print speed - it is definitely a
time-consuming process, and it can be "not exactly inexpensive" to print an
item.

> --
Dave Vick 517-749-3859 Sent from my Electronic Euphemism