[SML] Gel colors for Sweeney Todd

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Sat Apr 22 20:41:54 UTC 2017

> When no one is looking, spatter the set and costumes with a grey wash. Tone
> the colors down so that the direction of the lights, and the shadows, can
> actually be noticed. Let go of the notion that nice definition and visibilty
> of the actor's faces is valuable, and work with a harsh key light and almost
> no fill. Use some floods on the set to create separation from the actors,
> instead of down or back lights.

A gray wash/splattering is unlikely to happen.

I have always been less concerned about face visibility than are most local
directors.

I was already planning pretty much what you suggest - except hadn't thought
about set washes.

I may be able to get the murkiness I desire by, as one or two others
suggested, limiting my color palette.

Bill