[SML] Source 4 Power and LED Cabling

June Abernathy JEA00321 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 22:51:49 UTC 2017

> On Apr 22, 2017, at 3:00 PM, Wayne Rasmussen <rasmuw at blair.edu <mailto:rasmuw at blair.edu>>wrote:
>
> My school is in the process of constructing a new classroom building.  It
> will have a space capable of holding 150 or so that will occasionally be
> used for a speaker/small panel.  We'd like to install several S4 LED as
> performance lighting.  I'm not very familiar with the guts of how lighting
> is installed…

I’d suggest just calling ETC. They can answer all these questions and come up with a sensible package for you.

Also, the S4 LED Profile User Manual is available online, and would be worth checking out.

> 1. How many units can be powered on a single 20 amp circuit?
According to the ETC S4 LED Profile Manual:

You can connect up to 9 Source 4 LED Source 4s on a single Power chain. (Only 4 of the Series 2 Lustr units). Units have a Power Con input connector and a Power Con Thru connector.

> 2. I've been told some relays will be necessary to turn the units
> completely off when not being used, rather than simply turning them down
> to zero.  True?

Yes, power and intensity are different things. Taking the intensity to zero does not kill power to the units. You need to connect them to a constant power supply, then have a way of turning that off and on to power the fixtures up and down. Much the same as a moving light.

> 3. Since the power cables may be somewhat near to the DMX at certain
> points other than at their terminations, is there some shielded DMX we
> should use?  Installers in this building will not have any experience with
> DMX cable and we will need to be specific about what to use and how to use
> it.

Shielded 5 pin DMX is always a good plan. See what ETC recommends. I didn’t see any provision for using ethernet rather than 5pin DMX with these units. Avoid encasing cables in conduit for the runs to the individual units. Architectural installers will want to do this, but because these fixtures are a temporary installation for code purposes, it shouldn’t be required. And it will leave you some flexibility in where you place the lamps, now and in the future.

> 4. Are there wall panels that will be able to run these S4 with some
> simple programs?  We'd also like the capability to plug in a board to run
> the lights.

Yes, and the fixtures can also work as stand alone units with some simple presets.

Also, to address what seemed to be some misconceptions mentioned elsewhere in this thread, according to the manual:

You can connect up to 32 device loads on the DMX daisy-chain. Each Source 4 LED Profile fixture must be considered a separate DMX device for the purpose of DMX line-loading calculations.

The units operate on a DMX control signal OR, they can be configured for stand alone use. The fixture is supplied with a 5-pin XLR DMX input connector, and a 5-pin DMX Thru connector.

Source 4 LED fixtures are self terminated.

Source 4 LED and Source 4 LED Series 2 fixtures occupy 1 to 15 DMX channels depending on the profile and which features are turned on.

Units can be brought up independently from control for focus via the onboard keypad.

> Thanks,
> Wayne Rasmussen
> Blair Academy

Hope this helps!