[SML] Pipe Unit Numbering for Corporate Event Plots

C. Andrew Dunning landrudesign at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 14:36:12 UTC 2017

> In my limited experience with this type of unit numbering
> the fixture (channel) numbers tend to be laid out much
like
> all of us use unit numbers.

Really depends on the LD/programmer.

For me, "hundreds" (or, "thousands") digit(s) usually
refer(s) to fixture type and the other numbers to purpose or
position.  For example:

"Conventional" keys:  1-5
"Conventional" low front:  11-15
"Conventional" sides:  21-22
"Conventional" rear:  31-35
"Intelligent" wash MS:  501-508
"Intelligent" wash US:  511-518
"Intelligent" profile US:  601-612
Etc...

As skipped control numbers don't even exist, the console I
typically use doesn't recognize their theoretical omission.
Selecting things sequentially is a non-issue and remembering
numbers is relatively simple.  And, adjusting the numbering
scheme for larger or smaller projects is fairly easy.  "MS"
& "US" become "Audience Ray Truss 1," "Audience Ray Truss
2," "Audience Ray Truss 3," "Key Light Truss," etc.  Unit
numbers start from 1 at each position.

My 2¢US...

C. Andrew Dunning
Landru Design