[SML] Light shop advise

Jared Fortney jared.fortney at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 23:49:35 UTC 2017

How much are you planning to spend on this project?  It's been (quite) a
few years since I worked day-to-day in a rental shop, but good shop
practices are fairly cross-departmental and timeless.  Is this a rental
shop or a shop attached to one production facility?  My view is that labels
will set you free.  Even better if those labels don't require anyone to
have any specific advanced knowledge of your shop.  If all the red tags go
with red tags, even the new person or the office staff that has to come in
on the weekend can figure it out.  Next is material handling.  Find the
easiest and safest way to get the object you need from storage to its
working position and back again.  Also, make sure it's easy tell what works
and what needs maintenance (things in the shop and things coming back from
outside).  Some products that may be useful are pallet racking and plastic
bulk storage containers.

Not lighting specific, but applicable are the lean products from Fastcap.
Watch some of their videos about continuous improvement and mistake
proofing.  Perhaps they will give you some good ideas.

Good luck!

-Jared