[SML] Platforming to go on the road

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 17:39:13 UTC 2017

Dear Paul,
To quote Nancy Reagan, "JUST SAY NO" to a project detail that scares you,
as to it's implementation. Can you skin the supports and wing walls with
3/8" ACS plywood screwed on both sides of every part of the perimeter that
is not black scrim? You need significant SHEAR, not just weight bearing
capacity for the decks.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 6:38 AM, Paul Anderson via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I work for a small 4 year college and basically build scenery that sits on
> the stage till strike.  The only shows I've built for packing in a truck
> were already designed with that in mind.
>
> Our current production is being entered for ACTF participation and is
> being designed by what are basically not designers.  So far they have a
> platform setup that is 8 feet in the air.  The thought of raising heavy
> platforms that high scares me.
>
> Not having done this I'm not sure what my options are.  One thought I
> suppose is that there could be some sort of legging system put on each
> platform while upside down, then roll those assemblies upright one at a
> time and tie together.  Some sort of folding gate legs and simple plywood
> tops instead of framed platforms is something I've also seen done.
>
> There is some masking underneath which could be load bearing.  But one
> corner is to be black scrim with some action to be revealed under the
> platform.  And one platform has to have a trap to get into this underneath
> playing area.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> --
> Paul Anderson