[SML] HDCP and EDID again

Alf Sauve' alf at sauve.org
Tue Feb 7 02:49:36 UTC 2017

Some may remember my fiasco with MACs and HDCP, and with EDID last
year.  Basically newer MACs turn on and protect all content, HDCP, even
though what the user is sending is their own, non-digitally protected
content.    No problem IF everything in your system is HDCP compliant.

I finally got the funds to upgrade the presentation switcher to a
full-on HDMI only box.  No more VGA.  No more Composite.  Thought that
would solve the problem.  All my outputs from both the presentation and
the camera switcher are now digital.  All interconnects are digital.
Yeah-h-h-h.  Oh Wait!   SDI is digital but not HDCP compliant.   Bummer.

Finally bit the bullet on what everyone else has said was the only real
solution.   The stupid little 1x2 HDMI no-name splitter from China that
fools the input device (the MAC) into thinking everything on the other
side is HDCP compliant.  Bought two extras.  $20/ea on Amazon.
Everything hums now.

The newer switcher along with the Kramer 1x8 HDMI splitter for output
devices keeps all the EDID battles to a manageable roar now.  No more
blinking out each time a projector is turned on or off.