[SML] Platforming to go on the road

Alex French flaggday at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:06:24 UTC 2017

For a 4x8 platform 8' in the air, I wouldn't expect the flipping action to
be the tricky part.  I've walked up *much* large pieces with only a handful
of people, and I can handle pieces that are only slightly smaller than that
*by myself* in a pinch.  I'm not a big or particularly strong guy, I'm just
comfortable applying the strength I have.

[Free advice though: if you can do something "by yourself" "in a pinch",
you should probably just avoid getting "in a pinch" and get at least one
more person to help].

So I would absolutely focus on what construction methods that you're
comfortable with will support the forces involved in general, and then
remember that you do need to be able to assemble and (which probably
involves flipping it) too.

If you don't need to setup and breakdown very fast, keep it simple- a
"standard" 1x or 2x framed platform, wooden legs (maybe built up "L"
sections) with diagonal bracing where you can fit it in, or stud walls with
diagonal bracing (added sticks or solid sheets) where you can.

Only get more complicated if you need to install very fast, or are doing
this many times, or will have an absolutely tiny crew.  Keeping it simple
will make it much easier to address the basic structural needs, rather than
starting with something wacky like using crank-up stands, or any kind of
rigging, or even folding "parallel" style platform legs.

Also, definitely make sure that you've talked about the design and safety
requirements with the hosts where ever the production may be traveling-
there might be a local TD, a college EHS inspector and an actual Fire
Marshal all waiting tell you that any platform above 4'-0" will require
railings meeting very detailed specifications and escape stairs meeting
stricter specs than you're used to and that you can't just use a step
ladder under that trap door and so on.

Alex French