[SML] ClearComm questions

Nigel Worsley niglew at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:54:22 UTC 2017

>   18g?  20g?

The thicker the better, especially if you are using speakers and not
just headsets. The ground wire is shared by the power and audio, so
the extra power drawn by the speaker amplifier gets superimposed on
the audio. If the wire is too thin then a feedback situation can
develop when the volume is turned up, I had this happen on an
installation that used 0.5 sq mm cable (about 20g), but there were
some unused wires installed that allowed the ground wire to be doubled
up which fixed the problem. I would say that 18g is the minimum to
use, and go bigger if practical.

Nigel Worsley