[SML] Building big fake topiary....

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Fri Feb 24 17:13:55 UTC 2017

Just an update on the giant topiary I needed to fashion.... thanks to
everyone who had suggestions and sources.  Ultimately, I finally found a
couple of sources that had topiary balls in approximately the size I
wanted, at a reasonable price.  I believe it was Kate Stack that pointed me
towards a couple of sources, which eventually led me to other sources, and
finally settled on Geranium Street Floral.  The prices were so much lower
than the "big boys" that at first, I was afraid they were a "wholesale
only" shop, but they aren't.  I got four balls, and we made the top cones
ourselves, out of mats of Boxwood, found both online, and (same price, sans
shipping) locally at Jo-Ann's.  I cleaned out the one store in the region
that had them in stock.

The mats didn't match in color, and the stems/clusters were longer than the
greenery on the balls, but a little paint and no one's the wiser.  True,
the texture doesn't match exactly, but close enough for gov't work.

We took the 10x10 mats, and cut them into triangles, and attached them to a
conical frame, then filled in with copious hot glue and more leaves/stems
from the mats.  Then spray painted with 3 different greens.

Here's a pic under rehearsal lights.  The topiary is flanking the set SR
and SL.

 - Jon
[image: Inline image 1]