[SML] Portable video projector recommendation?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Mon Feb 27 20:32:01 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Kim Hartshorn via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I like using video projection.  Of course much depends on what exactly you are wanting to do with the projectors but you should not discount consumer model projectors.  You can buy projectors at Best Buy for $300 that out-perform $10K projectors from 6 years ago.  Lamp replacements are expensive and the technology is improving so rapidly that unless you have a very specific need for a high end projector I believe you should get 4 or 5 or 6 matching consumer grade models for the same basic money.  Like it or not, video projectors are essentially disposable and it is much easier to say goodbye to a $300 projector that doesnt cut the mustard any more.  Software can handle most of the image manipulation you will need.  Spend the money on software and video cards and drive multiple projectors using media server software...you will have much more fun :-)

I agree with many points here, but a big challenge we have in our
various theatrical venues is finding consumer-grade projectors with
lenses that will work with the distances we need.  Sometimes
long-throw, sometimes up close-n-wide.  The consumer projectors don't
have interchangeable lenses, and most are designed for a fairly
close-but-wide shot.....

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com