[SML] Building big fake topiary....

Kate Stack k8stack at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 20:25:05 UTC 2017

I bet you could modify a real topiary ball form:

http://www.craftoutlet.com/supplies/work-forms/work-ball-forms

And I found these balls already covered for really cheap:

https://www.consumercrafts.com/store/search?s=topiary&p=1&ps=20

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Pat Kight via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Dale Farmer via Stagecraft
>> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Steel rebar or rods for internal structure.  Get the help from someone
>>> who
>>> does rebar, and their tools, to bend it into desired trunk and branch
>>> shapes.
>>>
>> Rebar? Welding?  Oof... I think that's all too much for this project.
>> No one will see it up close enough to see inside the tight leaves to
>> see the branch structure.  Like you said, the real thing is pretty
>> much empty, leafless-ness inside, but I don't need all this structure.
>> Indeed, as you suggest, there will be beefy bases though... each
>> topiary will sit in large planters, that will also be sit-able, so
>> I'll easily be able to get some stability, for sure.
>>
>> Pat: I'm liking your idea as well... I'm thinking of bands of
>> something bendable, but rigid, then covering it with a mesh, and yeah,
>> stuffing it with leafage (although I like the idea of the tissue
>> paper, and supplement that with leafage as well).
>>
> If I were doing it on the cheap and in a hurry, and was certain no actors
> would be knocking into the topiaries, I might actually try using paper
> globe lanterns - you could probably find them at almost any Asian market,
> and if you wrapped them in mesh that might just work. It would be cheap
> enough to make one globe to test it out!
>
> --
> Pat Kight

Kate Stack

Props Master