[SML] Building big fake topiary....

Terry Price tprice at tlu.edu
Tue Jan 10 22:11:03 UTC 2017

It's been a while (years??!) since I've posted here, so I'm a bit rusty.

I have had great success building topiaries using a light-weight
armature of wood that supported poultry netting (chicken wire) or
something similar (the smaller the holes the better). The leaves are
created with shredded foam.

Create the desired shape(s) with the wire netting and set aside to rest.
Divide the shredded foam into three or four equal piles. Soak each pile
with different shades of the desired color - I'm assuming green - and
allow to dry. (This will take some time.) After confirming the foam is
dry, mix all the colors together into a single batch. Using a strong
spray adhesive, attach the foam to the netting. Depending on the size of
the holes in the netting, you may need to do this a couple of times -
keep going until the desired density is reached. The nice thing about
this approach is that there are portions of the topiary that are
see-through adding to the effect. The color variety sells it nicely too.
BTW, these do not play well if they need to be moved quickly or often.

hth,
tp

Terry Price
Director of Emerging Media