[SML] WAY, WAY, WAY O.T. : Death and Politics

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 23:41:46 UTC 2017

Speaking from a conservative view point, in regards to funding for NEA; I have had a similar discussion years ago with fellow puppeteers.  My general impression is that the industry that received those funds tend to be overwhelmingly liberal, & democrat.  This actually a similar feeling now about public education.  So, the feeling among the very conservative is not simply to reduce funding, but rather eliminate the public feeding trough. For education, fund the student, not the school.  Though, in reality, the Republicans and Democrat parties tend to gravitate towards fund whoever will vote for you.

Personally, I strongly feel that both areas are outside of the "enumerated powers" described in Article I, Section 8 of the constitution.  Art (other than things like paintings of the president, etc) is not a function of government. We also have some rather extreme debt to pay for. Besides, do you really want Trump to have the power to dictate the kind of art that gets funded?

-Joe