[SML] Stage lighting educational materials?

Tanner Tanner at protechlv.com
Tue Jan 24 00:22:41 UTC 2017

Hello,

First, excuse me for being a bit of a lurker in the SML. I really enjoy the wide variety of discussions here and I’ve learned a lot about several topics that I don’t have much experience with. Thanks for that.

I grew up in a house with rigging installers and despite working as a hand for a while in high school and college, lighting is something that I have never had much exposure to other than focusing and otherwise working from the neck down.

Obviously I’m not going to read a book and be a lighting designer (nor is that my goal), but its starkly missing from my tech knowledge and I’d like to be educated enough to be able to have a conversation with designers and operators. Basically, I’m looking for the Stage Rigging Handbook of stage lighting, if such an animal exists.

A friend of mine who works as a LD recommended The Magic of Light: The Craft and Career of Jean Rosenthal but it’s out of print and quite spendy. I figure with the advent of LED a lot of older resources are now obsolete. I figure SML would do a better job of guiding me than amazon reviews.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks,

Tanner Brants

Protech Rigging & Automation