[SML] Shop Supervisor / Instructor of Scenic Technology @ Virginia Tech

B. H. Ackler backler at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 10 23:25:27 UTC 2017

As an alum, I felt I should post.

The Theatre Department of the School of Performing Arts at Virginia Tech, a
program emphasizing professional theatre practice, seeks a dynamic, energetic,
and creative theatre artist/technician in a fulltime Instructor position to
supervise our scene shop and instruct our students in state-of-the-art scenic
technologies. We seek a colleague with recent professional practice and an
attention to detail suited to the production of quality craftsmanship, while
providing safe, hands-on instruction at the undergraduate and graduate level.

The Scene Shop Supervisor works under the Technical Director and cohesively
with other faculty and staff involved in the season’s productions. Duties and
responsibilities of the Scene Shop Supervisor include the supervision of
scenic construction for all department productions in our annual season of
events, instruction on scenic technology topics to undergraduate and graduate
students in the shop setting, the organization and upkeep of materials and
supplies necessary for construction, the enforcement of shop safety and safe
practices (in compliance with EHS and OSHA/NFPA guidelines), the coordination
of the shop space in a safe and orderly fashion, and maintenance of the scene
shop facility, tools and equipment. The successful candidate will instruct
students on our productions with a hands-on approach during all phases of
production: construction, technical rehearsals, and strikes. In addition, the
Scene Shop Supervisor may be asked to serve on committees and perform other
university service as appropriate. This appointment begins August 10, 2017,
and is for one academic year, with the possibility of annual renewal.

Full Description:
https://listings.jobs.vt.edu/postings/77842