[SML] Vectorworks and AutoCAD

C. Andrew Dunning landrudesign at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 13:11:47 UTC 2017

Michael -

…with all the mouse clicking and unintuitive arbitrary keyboard shortcuts (where they exist at all), I just don't see how I'll ever reach the same speed as with AutoCAD and the command-line.

Am I missing something? Is it worth plugging away at VectorWorks to get more skilled?

I totally get your question…and, potential pain.  Several years ago I transitioned from a “command-line” package (albeit, not AutoCAD) to VW’s GUI world.  I didn’t think I’d ever be as fast as I was in my old system and making the change came with a lot of grumbling.  Now, several years later, zero regrets.

A little food-for-thought:

1)  Over time, I’ve learned the short-cut keys (some default and several custom) for tools and commands I use most often.  Now, they’re second-nature.  I don’t miss, at-all, the command-line (at least, in this context).

2)  As “drawing” in the CADD world is inherently mouse-driven, accessing tools, commands, and macros that way hasn’t proven to be as much of a stretch as I thought it would be.

3)  Several of the VW-specific features far out-weigh any “loss” I feel now and the command line.  For example, parametric objects, solid shapes, the Class/Layer system, and the built-in database.

…my 2¢US…

C. Andrew Dunning

Landru Design

-